Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lentil soup


This may be the healthiest thing in my repertoire that I make. If you know me you know I like things deep-fried or loaded with sugar :) but this meal is so yummy and very hearty. I make my soup with chicken broth but if you made it with vegetable stock it would be a great vegetarian meal. It’s also a great gluten free meal.


3 carrots
2 celery stocks
1 large yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
2 ½ tsp. dried Oregano
2 ½ tsp. dried Basil
2 Bay leaves
2 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
1 lb. lentils
5 oz fresh chopped spinach
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt to taste (I used 2 tsp.)
















Chop carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sauté with the ¼ cup olive oil until all the veggies are tender and the onions become translucent about 5-7 minutes add the oregano, basil and bay leaves cook for 2 minutes then put in crock-pot. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, water, and lentils. Cook for 6 hours or medium depends on your crock-pot settings (you can just cook in a large pot on the stove for less time. I just like to get it all done in the morning and let it cook on low all day) When you are ready to serve add the chopped spinach, balsamic, and Worcestershire sauce.

I like to serve my soup with Greek yogurt I think it gives it a little added kick :)

No comments:

Post a Comment